Table of Contents:
- How to read a bank statement?
- What are the benefits of a bank account statement?
- How to download a bank statement?
- How to get a bank statement online
– Steps to follow for a bank statement PDF download
– How to download a bank statement from an email
– How to get a bank statement without net banking credentials
What is a Bank Account Statement?
A bank statement is a summary of all the bank transaction details over a given period for every bank account held by an individual or a business. A bank statement PDF would include the account owner’s name and other details of bank account like account number, bank data, charges, deposits, withdrawals and deductions. Moreover, the initial and closing bank account balances are also shown in a bank statement.
How to read a bank statement online?
Once you make a bank statement application, you can check the bank account balance on the statement you receive. You will also find a few more bank details mentioned in the bank statement PDF. You should learn to understand all this bank information, as it directly concerns your finances.
So, what shows up on your bank account statement?
- Statement cycle: The date range your bank statement covers.
- Your personal and bank account details: Contains your name, address and account number.
- Bank information: Bank’s name and logo, phone numbers, details of help centre, etc. so you can reach out to them should the need arise.
- Bank account activity: A detailed breakdown of every transaction of the account.
- Bank account summary: Your starting balance, the total number of additions and withdrawals and the ending account balance.
- Transaction dates: The date on which the bank processes a transaction made through the account.
- Credits and debits: Funds that are added and deducted from your bank account.
Here’s an example of a bank account statement:
What are the benefits of a bank account statement?
The purpose of a bank statement is to summarise all bank account activities within a certain period. Benefits of a bank account statement include:
- You review all transactions in your bank account.
- Lenders like EarlySalary need you to submit a bank statement PDF to apply for personal loans or instant cash loans.
- Credit card firms and banks need bank account statements to validate borrower applications.
- If you apply for any kind of mortgage, credit, or financial help, you will need to submit your bank transaction details for income and employment verification.
- Bank statements are also valid identity verification proof for you.
How to download a bank statement?
You can place a bank statement request online and download bank statement PDF if you use internet banking. However, there are other ways to get a bank statement too. Read on to find out how.
How to get a bank statement online
You can get a bank statement online through official bank applications or the official website of your bank. You have to register with your bank’s net banking portal. After that, you can follow the simple steps described below for a bank statement PDF download.
How to download a bank statement in PDF
- Visit your bank’s app or official website.
- Log-in to your net banking account with username and password.
- Click on whichever of these you can find: ‘bank account statement’, ‘download e-document’ or ‘view your transaction history’.
- Select the date range for your bank account statement.
- Click on ‘download PDF’.
- For the banks that do not provide a download option, you can select the print option and then save the document shown as a PDF.
In the image below, you can see the net banking portal of a bank’s website, where you have to specify a period for a bank statement PDF download.
How to download a bank account statement from an email
You can find a bank statement online by also registering for a PDF to be mailed to you periodically. In fact, bank account statements are usually emailed to you in a password-protected PDF format by default and don’t require you to sign-up separately for it. Here’s how to download the PDF:
- Log in to your registered email account.
- Search for the terms ‘bank statement’, ‘account statement’ or ‘transaction summary’.
- Once you find the email, click on the attached PDF and download it.
- Once you download the bank statement PDF make sure to decrypt it or include the file password when you upload the statement somewhere.
In the case that you can not find the emails on the email ID you have registered with your bank, you can sign-up on the bank’s official website to receive them.
How to get a bank account statement without net banking
If you can not avail net banking services, you can still get a physical copy of your bank statement from an ATM by following these steps:
- Visit your bank’s nearest ATM with your debit or credit card.
- Enter your PIN.
- Select the ‘Get mini statement’ or ‘Print mini statement’ option you can find on the screen.
- You will receive a copy of your bank statement.
How to keep your bank account statement safe?
In case you receive your bank account statements by mail, it’s safe to keep them for about one year. However, if you can access your bank statements digitally, there’s no need for you to save them. This is because for most banks, you can download and print these statements for about 1-3 years afterwards. If you need even older bank statements, you can also contact the bank for physical copies.
Bank statement Vs. Transaction history
FAQs on Bank Statement
- Who can get my bank statement?
Bank account statements are meant to be private, so you are the only person who can get your bank statement by any legal means.
2. What do credit and debit on a bank account statement mean?
Credits are funds your bank account receives, while debits are funds that are dedicated from your bank account.
3. Can a bank account statement be used as address proof?
Yes, according to the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), your most recent bank statement is among the documents accepted as valid proof of address.
4. Can a bank account statement be used as proof of income?
A bank statement not more than three months old can be considered proof of income, given that the statement comes from the bank where your salary is deposited.
5. Do bank account statements work for applying for a passport or visa?
Yes, you can submit your bank statements as a proof of address when applying for a passport. As for a visa, you have to submit a bank statement. This tells an embassy that you have enough funds to travel to their country, and you can spend money once there and contribute to their economy.
6. Can I get a bank account statement without a balance?
Yes, even if you don’t have a balance in your bank account, you can still download a bank statement PDF through your bank’s net banking services.
7. Can I get a bank account statement without transactions?
A bank account statement contains more than just the record of transactions you made within a specified period of time. So you can still request a bank statement even if you have not made any transactions within that time.